Today’s post actually comes from one of my business coaches and mentors, Fred Zoeller (yes I have coaches too). This is a topic that I discuss in my client coaching sessions, life coaching, and even at home with my son and wife. I’m sure you can relate to how much this happens but maybe you have not yet broken it down and taken a good look. I hope you enjoy this and take away a nugget of knowledge to implement in your life today.
“I’m sure you have been through tons of very difficult things in life and I know I have too but upon lots of thinking and praying, I have decided that what I am about to propose to you is harder.
I’m sure as you are reading this, you’re thinking no way…I’ve been through harder for sure. But the thought you just had is proof actually.
What is it? It’s being PRESENT. Yes, fully present.
WOW Think about this for a minute and see if you can do it without any other thoughts going through your head at the same time or without hearing tons of noises and looking at your phone or the tv. It’s tough.
This has become so profound for me over the last couple of years with attempting to grow two businesses as well as being a good husband and father to 7 children. Being present is critical in so many ways and I’m sure you agree.
This idea of being present is being attacked on so many fronts and some of them we are hardly aware of. Do any of these examples ring a bell:
- Looking at your cell phone while in a conversation with another person.
- Talking or playing with your cell phone at dinner.
- Super multitasking.
- Eating and talking on the phone while driving.
- Watching tv while conversing with your significant other.
- Thinking of 100 other things while reading.
- Checking your email or social media at the crack of dawn.
- Working on the computer while talking or using the phone.
The list goes on…
You have heard the quote before, “Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.” – Bill Keane.
Why is today called a gift? The present?
Here are my thoughts: It’s what you can control. You can’t control the past or the future.
When you are fully present, you are more successful and happy. This has been proven over and over.
When you slow down, you actually show appreciation which is what we all long for! It becomes a gift that you can give to someone else. (this is huge)
So what can you do to help be present? (note to self as well!)
- Dump your distractions like you did your bad boyfriend or girlfriend in high school!
- Start and complete ONE thing at a time. All the successful do this.
- Take twice as long to eat as you normally do. (this is tragically hard)
- Listen up. No really, try to really be present in all your conversations without thinking of anything else. It’s life-changing for both parties.
- Lose the word worry! Remove it from your vocabulary. Replace it with the phrase under pressure. Then you can flourish!
As you can see, being present is a skill. We are so used to being all over the place and busy, we don’t even realize it sometimes.
Go slower. Enjoy each day no matter what it brings. Life will be BETTER and BRIGHTER.