Have you ever been overwhelmed with the whole weight loss-workout-healthy eating formula? I have. Sometimes it seems like too much for that day.
When I’ve worked with clients who seemed overwhelmed or truly had a lot on their plate, my best piece of advice has always been, “Focus on 1 thing.’”
Basically, when everything is going a million miles per hour around you, it’s pretty easy to look up at the end of the day and see that you’re no closer to being happier or healthier than you were when the day started.
So rather than try to do a bunch of different things to improve, focus on ONE thing that will move you closer to your goals.
Now I’m not talking about the daily responsibilities of going to work, paying bills, and taking care of your kids. Those are things that must be done. Beyond that, make sure that you do ONE thing that makes you better and/or happier and moves you closer to your goals.
What do I mean?
- Learn something new that you can apply. New recipe, new way to burn more calories in your normal routine etc.
- Apply something new that you have learned (hopefully my emails have provided you some easy and quality tips)
- Drink more water – Half your body weight in ounces is your goal. (keep your water bottle near by all day)
- Go to sleep an hour earlier. You can do this. Shut off your TV, phone etc. and switch to soothing sounds to help focus on relaxing.
- Move meaningfully and with a purpose for 20 minutes – This can be brisk walk, 30 minute workout with us, anything that elevates your heart rate and improves your body.
- Make each meal a little bit better … swap out starches for an extra serving of veggies, for example.
Even if the improvement is small, the power of this approach is big. There is a compounding effect. Small successes build confidence, shape habits, and set you up for bigger wins down the road.
So if you ever get overwhelmed with all there is to do (I know I do), then this is where I would start.
Focus on ONE thing at a time.