‘Tis the season to feel….overwhelmed! Can you relate? It’s all different this year but still things ‘need’ to get done. You know the feeling;
- Having to get everything all done today
- Buying gifts for friends but funds may be stretched
- Figuring out how to bake or even ‘If’ to bake this year
- Work wants more from you even though you are at home
- Kids are on break soon and what are they going to do during lock down,
- Errands to get done. Who will do them if I don’t?
- Preparing for January which is Days away!
Where will it end?
Sorry if your adrenals just got zapped because a bunch of these may be in your head right now. So let’s break this down. Overwhelm is a feeling that is created by our thoughts. And it has some family members that you may be acquainted with; stress, anxiety, indecision, and procrastination to name a few.
However; we always have the good relatives on the opposite side of the family and these are; ease, peace, calm, trust in life’s energy, and certainty, to name a few.
We ‘feel’ overwhelmed because our ‘thinking’ is causing this. So what is driving your feelings? It’s usually statements that we make in our head and apply to ourselves which are not true.
- “If I don’t get it all done then…”
- “I have to do it all myself or…”
- “I failed if I don’t…”
- You get the idea.
What this can cause is paralysis of action, or so much anxiety that you don’t know where to even start something. The irony is that you didn’t take any action to get everything done and that puts you in a position where you are now trying to fit more into less time or space that it won’t fit into. It’s like trying to fit 13 eggs into a 12 egg carton. They don’t fit. And now the time is ticking by and you have nothing done and that perpetuates the “feelings” that you had to start with.
Ahhhhhh, what do I do? How can I avoid this?
The reality is that all this could have been avoided by just taking one simple action. Just one. Then another. And then another.
Until then, you are now being productive, with the mindset of getting things done and actually getting them done with your thoughts and feelings intact and working for you in a joyful state.
Here are a couple of affirmations to help refocus your mind when you feel it going to a suffering state of overwhelm or visiting one of its other family members:
- I don’t have to get it all done and will still be successful today
- I can only do so much and I will get done that which needs to get done
- I choose to live in ease and flow in my day
- Life’s energy is working for me and my success and sometimes Life’s plan is not the same plan as mine
So when you feel yourself slipping into “feeling” overwhelmed, STOP, and redirect your thinking. You will still be successful, you are still amazing, and you will get done everything that was meant to get done today and you are ok with that. Take a deep breath and let go of anything negative – right now, take the breath…
Ok, now go and be prosperous, successful, and joyful.