The old adage that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ isn’t necessarily set in stone. Some people do have success with intermittent fasting and other plans for weight loss. But, if you love your breakfast as much as I do, and you are trying to lose weight, your first meal of the day can be incredibly important. Understand that eating the minute you wake up isn’t necessary. Personally, I can’t do this. My body needs a little time to get going and process, and sometimes I workout first, then eat.
However, getting in that morning meal is critical for a couple reasons.
- It tells your body that it’s time to start your metabolism and burn fuel for the day. You are essentially ‘breaking your fast’ from the prior day.
- It sets your blood sugar levels for the day which can help control sugar cravings later. I will cover this in a minute, stay with me.
If you want to ensure that your breakfast is setting you up for success in your weight loss quest, then continue reading and take a couple notes. This is good stuff.
My Top 4 Rules for Breakfast Weight Loss:
- Think Savory over Sweet – Many people tend to eat high sugar and carb breakfasts which can elevate insulin levels and lead to an energy crash and / or sugar cravings later in your day.
For example, eating oatmeal with added sugars, extra fruits and honey, or a fruit based smoothie seem like good choices but they are both very high in sugar and carbs. This can lead to sugar cravings during the day.
Consider this instead; eat your oatmeal without the extra sugars or add a few low sugar blueberries or raspberries. The Quaker instant has less than 1 gm of added sugar. That’s a better choice. Or, eggs with an avocado, veggie hash with lean turkey sausage. And for the smoothie lovers, offset your carbs with a scoop of protein to balance out the sugar.
2. Prioritize your Protein. Protein is the most satisfying macronutrient for your body. It helps you feel full longer, stabilizes your blood sugar, and supports your muscles during exercise recovery. I like to start my day with just a scoop of plant-based protein in water or almond milk to support my system, weight loss, and set the tone for my day. It also sets a mental tone that you just claimed a small victory over your first meal. Yay, you! Keep the victories going throughout your day!
3. Don’t drink all your calories. Not talking smoothies here. I’m talking about the super “floofy” (yes that’s my own word) coffees, mochas, frap-a-crap-a, etc. Your morning cup of coffee, which I certain love to have, can turn into a calorie and sugar bomb quickly when you start adding syrups, creamers, and other flavorings. If you want flavors, try a flavored coffee, or ask at your favorite coffee place if they have sugar free options. This way you get your treat without the added sugar and can maintain your weight loss victories.
4. Sit down and eat instead of taking it to go. Seeing your food on a plate or in a bowl helps provide the mental and emotional satisfaction part of your meal. This is an intuitive way to eat and adds physical benefits to your weight loss.
Sometimes when we are eating on the fly, we don’t watch how much we eat and the quality of the food often declines. So there you have it; 4 Ways to have your breakfast in a powerful, satisfying, and body supporting way.